His practice centres around the monetisation of intellectual property rights with particular focus on feature films and television programmes. His clients include Oscar winning producers, private equity houses, banks, government institutions and talent.
James is described in Chambers and Partners 2012 as "first-rate" for his film financing strength, with sources adding that he is "a personable, clear thinker” and “has the invaluable ability to stay focused and calm”.
Recent work includes:
- Acting for producers on feature film projects such as Slumdog Millionaire, Great Expectations, Iron Lady, Calvary and Romeo and Juliet
- Acting for producers on television projects such as Our Men, Mr Sloane and An Idiot Abroad
- Acting for financiers on slate credit facilities and single picture projects (eg Pitch Perfect, Invisible Woman, and Mike Leigh’s current film)
- Representing financiers and producers on 1st look deals, EIS funding and other investment arrangements
- Negotiating exploitation arrangements with distributors, sales agents and SVOD platforms
- Acting for the rights holders/key talent on Mamma Mia, Senna (Documentary), Extras and Derek
James spoke at South By Southwest in 2011 in his capacity as co-head of the firm's Transmedia group and gave a keynote address to the StoryDrive,Chinaconference inBeijing, 2012. He was also a tutor on the Inside Pictures film business training course between 2004 and 2010.